It’s April, and while many of our usual monthly activities in Monmouth & Ocean Counties have been cancelled due to the public health crisis, there are still some grab n’ go and virtual wellness happenings you can participate in while also maintaining social distancing. Here are some fun things you can still enjoy with your family this month. We hope you are staying safe and healthy!
Grab & Go At Home Kits
- Julio’s Pizza Company (Atlantic Highlands) has a pizza kit ready for pick-up, complete with a ball of dough, tomato sauce, a pound of cheese, and cooking instructions – all for just $8. Learn more at https://www.heyitsjulios.com/ or call 848-300-2674 to place your order.
- Beacon 70 (Brick) has a DIY at home pizza kit for the whole family for just $12! The kit includes dough, sauce, mozzarella cheese, an additional topping of your choice, and grated parmesan cheese. Call to order at 848-232-4235 and you can pick-up curbside or have the kit delivered. Find out more on their website at https://beacon70.com/
- Jersey Freeze (Freehold) has a make your own ice cream sundae kit for pick-up, only $20! You’ll get two quarts of homemade soft serve ice cream, chocolate syrup, sprinkles, cherries, and your choice of a candy topping. Call 732-462-3008 to order and pick-up curbside 45 minutes later! For more information visit http://jerseyfreeze1952.com/
- Sugarush (Red Bank) call 732-414-9044 to order and then pick-up an at home cupcake decorating kit for $25 or cookie decorating kit for $20! The cookie kit includes 6 sugar cookies, 2 royal icing colors, and sprinkles. The cupcake kit includes 6 cupcakes, 3 icing colors, sprinkles, and toppings. There are three themes available to choose for cupcakes: mermaid, unicorn, or lego. Find out more at experiencesugarush.com
- Jersey Cookie Girl (Jackson) is offering cookie decorating kits for $35. The kit includes 12 sugar cookies, 3 piping bags of royal icing, and 3 colors of sparkle sugar. Cookie themes are Happy Birthday, unicorn princess, or puppies. Place your order at 732-213-0590, and curbside pick-up is available or free delivery if you are 10 miles or less from the store. Learn more at https://www.jerseycookiegirl.com/
- Color Me Mine (Freehold) is shipping paint your own ceramic to-go kits. Simply choose the ceramic(s) you would like to paint, pick your paint colors, and check out online. The kits include instructions and a set of brushes for you to keep. For more information and to place your online order visit https://color-me-mine-freehold.myshopify.com/
- Lunch Doodles: Online lunch doodles for kids will take place daily, and are free! New episodes will be posted every weekday at 1:00pm EST. Kids will learn to draw, doodle and explore new ways of writing. Grab your pencils, crayons and your imagination! Find out more information and join in on the fun here.
- Snapology of Monmouth County: The usual STEAM classes are going virtual! For $10 register your child for one of these upcoming online classes: https://embed.snapology.com/licensee/50/events/calendar/2020/04/
- Virtual Disney Rides: While the Disney parks are closed, you can still experience the wonders of Disney right at home. Thanks to some amazing Disney fans, your family can hop on a variety of Disney rides through YouTube. Get started here.
- Google Arts & Culture: Check out virtual tours of museums, parks, and natural icons like the largest temple complex on Earth, Yellowstone National Park, and much more. Get started at https://artsandculture.google.com/
- Prime Cycle: Free gym classes are being offered for students during lunch on Instagram Live. A session for kids ages 6-10 years old runs from noon-12:30pm, kids 11 and up runs from 12:30pm -1pm. For more information visit https://www.instagram.com/p/B99GpRNndU6/
- Planet Fitness: Hosting free live-stream fitness classes daily at 7pm. Join them on their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/planetfitness/
- Mindfulness Lessons: Mindful Schools is a non-profit organization which will be offering mindful classes online for kids at 1pm EST on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Kids will get to join in on mindful activities, movement, and read-a-longs. Join in here.
At Home Activities for Kids
- Scavenger Hunt: If your kids are bouncing off the walls from being cooped up at home right now, get them to let off some steam with a good old-fashioned scavenger hunt. Set up hints around the house and have them race from clue to clue searching for the treasure you’ve hidden for them. If your kids are too young to read, this can work with picture clues as well. The “treasure” can be a special treat you have in the house, a new game or art supply you’ve been saving, or an item you know they’ll love. Get creative!
- Balloon Ping-Pong: No need for a bulky ping-pong table! Just tape large popsicle sticks to the backs of paper plates, blow up a balloon, and have your preschoolers play ping-pong with their makeshift paddles over your empty kitchen table.
- Scrapbook: Spend some quality time reliving precious memories by digging out scrapbooking supplies and old photos to create a timeless masterpiece together.
- Teach a Household Skill: Enlist your child’s help! Even very small children can help sort laundry, load the washing machine, and press the buttons to turn it on (with your supervision, of course). Have the older ones help you bake, letting them put their math skills to use by adding fractions in recipes. And, of course everyone cleans up their own messes when the day is done!