Vishing calls originating from (410) 768-7599 are being made via automated dialer to random telephone numbers. Vishing or Voice phishing is the criminal practice of using social engineering over the telephone system to gain access to private personal and financial information from the public for the purpose of financial reward.
- Calls are automated and a recorded message warns that there is a very important matter to discuss that involves a lower interest rate on a credit card. Victims are encouraged to press 1 to speak to a representative.
- Callers who press 1 are directed to a call center operator/fraudster.
- The operator who answers the call has a very heavy accent and at no time asks the victim what their name is or where they live. Operators focus on collecting payment card expiration dates and the last 12 digits of the victim’s payment card.
- Card issuer brands are never mentioned.
- Please do not call the potentially fraudulent number. Law enforcement and local communication companies may be in the middle of an investigation that will be compromised if the fraudsters become suspicious.
If you receive any suspicious calls from this phone number, do not call it back – please contact us immediately at 866.750.0100 so we can report the scam. Due to an increase in these vishing scams, it is important to be cautious if you receive any calls from unknown numbers or area codes. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please give us a call or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for being a valued member of First Financial.
*Article source courtesy of FICO Alert Bulletin 14.03.