Join the First Financial Team to support the fundraising efforts that are so crucial to finding a cure and providing support services to those newly diagnosed with breast cancer and to breast cancer survivors. We invite you to join the First Financial Team as well as help us to raise money for an amazing cause. You can join by visiting this link. We encourage you to donate to the cause even if you cannot attend the walk.
The Making Strides for Breast Cancer Walk will take place on:
Sunday, October 21st at 10:00am – Point Pleasant Beach
The American Cancer Society is putting your dollars to work now – doing the most in every community to help women with cancer today and working tirelessly to find cures to end the disease tomorrow. Since Making Strides began 20 years ago, breast cancer death rates have declined 32 percent. The progress we’re making because of Making Strides supporters is nothing short of remarkable. But it is no time to rest. When more walkers raise money to fight breast cancer, there will be more survivors celebrating more birthdays. So, how does the money you raise help end breast cancer? With your support, we are saving lives.
Since 1993, 8 million walkers across the United States have raised more than $460 million to help fight breast cancer through Making Strides events. In 2011 alone, 1 million walkers across the country collected more than $60 million to help fight this disease. The fundraising efforts help provide dollars for research so that one day we will live in a world without cancer. In the meantime, there is a tremendous need for information, service and support.
Some of the many services and support provided by the ACS:
- The ACS has trained professionals available 24/7 to assist people: 800-227-2345 or through their website: www.cancer.org. ACS staff includes members that speak many languages so that culture is not a barrier to getting information or help.
- The ACS staff and volunteers have provided 1100 rides to cancer patients in the Monmouth and Ocean County area. Some patients are older and can’t drive, others are in treatment and don’t feel well enough to drive.
- Hope Lodge in NYC opened in 2007 and has served 5,000 guests from Monmouth and Ocean County. The lodge provides overnight accommodations for cancer patients and one caretaker while going through treatment. The program is for patients not sick enough to be hospitalized but not well enough to travel back and forth for treatment. Accommodations are based on need (income is not a factor). Other Hope Lodges are located in Philadelphia, Rochester and Buffalo. The NYC and Philadelphia Lodges serve a tremendous need for cancer patients in Monmouth and Ocean County.
- Look Good Feel Better support program provides professional tips to cancer patients on make-up and use of wigs. Statistics have shown that people who look good feel better and tend to do better in recovery.
Don’t forget that YOU can help the fundraising efforts by:
- Joining the First Financial Team and walking
- Signing up as a team member and collecting contributions even if you can’t join the walk on October 21st.
- Supporting the First Financial Team members by making a contribution at any First Financial Branch or by visiting our team page.
Thank you for your support and we hope to see you at the walk! THINK PINK!